Informed Consent for Tele-Rehabilitation
In addition to in-clinic assessment and treatment, Kamloops Physiotherapy also offers Tele-Rehabilitation.
In order to take advantage of our Tele-Rehabilitation services, you will need to provide some contact information and complete a consent form.
Please complete the form below:
CONSENT TO TELE-REHABILITATION VIRTUAL APPOINTMENT
Tele-Rehabilitation or Tele-Rehab is a service offered to our clients to decrease the need to attend the clinic for the first or more of your visits. The first part of your assessment can involve either a phone call or a video call to speak with your physiotherapist or kinesiologist. If you attend subsequent sessions of Tele-Rehab they are performed as a video and audio visit on a computer, tablet (iPad) or smartphone.
- A video visit can be very valuable and effective but it does not include ‘hands-on’ assessment or treatment.
- Video visits may involve observation, movement and strength assessment, exercise demonstration and prescription, exercise program review and progression, education and teaching of self-treatment techniques.
Tele-Rehab brings with it certain assumptions of risk and requirements as set out below.
Your privacy is of utmost importance to us. We take our best precautions to protect your privacy during any of your appointments with Kamloops Physiotherapy.
- If you are speaking with your therapist on the phone they will ensure that this is done in a private and secure area where your call will not overheard.
- You also need to ensure that, if you have concerns regarding the privacy of the information that you are discussing with your therapist, you are performing the call in a private place where you will not be overheard.
- Your phone call will not be recorded.
If you are performing a video call with a therapist at Kamloops Physiotherapy we have done our best to maintain your privacy.
- In most cases we use Zoom Healthcare, the most secure and private version of this professional quality, industry standard Tele-Health video-conferencing platform.
- If you prefer to not utilize Zoom we have an alternative platform.
- It is understood that there are potential risks related to the use of online technology, including interruption of service, unauthorized access by others, as well as technical difficulties.
- The release of your private information due to hacking, computer viruses or other malware is a potential risk of conducting any activity over the internet including Tele-Rehab.
- Our therapists perform Tele-Rehab video and audio appointments in closed private rooms to prevent others from hearing or seeing anything occurring in the appointment.
- You also need to ensure, if you have concerns regarding your privacy during the session, that you are performing the video call in a private place where you will not be seen or overheard.
Occasionally your therapist or you may feel that recording a short clip of video or taking a still photo image (screenshot) from the session may be helpful to you or the therapist.
- Should your therapist decide that recording of video, audio or other images would be appropriate, they will ask directly for consent prior to recording anything.
- Any photo or video files that you have given consent to be recorded during the session will be attached to your electronic medical chart saved on our secure server and/or emailed to you if you request it.
- The files will be deleted from all other other devices immediately.
SAFETY AND LIMITATIONS
- Most clients are appropriate for the initial subjective portion of the assessment.
- This generally only involves questions and discussion.
- Some clients may not be deemed appropriate by their therapist for Tele-Rehab physical assessment or exercise prescription.
- In this case, the therapist will recommend alternatives to the Tele-Rehab service.
- Tele-Rehab is not always the ideal form of interaction with our clients.
- It can be used when people live outside of our city or region, someone is unable to attend in person to our clinic and in situations where social distancing is required like the COVID-19 Pandemic.
There are safety concerns as well as inherent limitations in conducting Tele-Rehab rather than in-person rehabilitation.
- Inability of the therapist to physically assess and treat an individual.
- Some parts of the exam involving physical testing may be conducted by you on yourself or an individual at your location under the direction of the therapist.
- Internet connections can be unstable and other unforeseen events such as power outages can interrupt service.
- Technical support is limited with Tele-Rehab.
- Therapists can offer only limited support.
- Working knowledge of the device you will use for Tele-Rehab is important.
- You should test your system prior to your Tele-Rehab session to minimize the risk of technical difficulties, interruptions and delays during your session.
- The possibility for misunderstanding and miscommunication is increased with the lack of in-person interaction.
- Tele-Rehab can only be conducted with minors under the supervision of a parent or guardian.
- In the majority of cases you can perform a Tele-Rehabilitation session without another person present.
- If you have balance or mobility problems, pre-existing medical conditions, or other issues that increase your risk of injury or incident you will be required to have another person present during your Tele-Rehab session.
- Our receptionists and therapist will screen for this need and will advise you if we think you require a person to be present during the session.
- If during the Tele-Rehab session your therapist determines that you are unsafe to proceed with the session on your own the therapist will not be able to complete the session.
- For safety reasons, we are not able to perform Tele-Rehab with any individuals who possess cognitive deficits unless another individual is present on the client’s end of the transmission.
- This could include significant concussion, memory loss, stroke, neurological disorders involving the Central Nervous System and brain, or others not listed here.
- We assume no liability for the environment in which you choose to perform your Tele-Rehab session.
- You are responsible for providing a safe environment with space to move about that is free of obstacles and debris.
Any concerns regarding your privacy, security or safety should be raised with your treating therapist.
Any complaints can be forwarded to email@example.com or the College of Physical Therapists of British Columbia.